Most people see whales only in movies or TV shows. When you visit the Tracy Arm inlet in Alaska you will get the opportunity to join the minority of humans who have witnessed these gentle giants in person. So awe-inspiring are these massive marine mammals that thousands of people have viewing them on their bucket list. Well, if viewing these creatures is on your bucket list, here are some of our top whale-watching tips you can use on your cruise in the Tracy Arm Fjord.
- Bring the right gear: Of course the best vantage point for whale viewing is on the outer decks. So that you can remain comfortable while doing so we recommend that you dress in layers and that you bring waterproof gear with you. After you are finished watching these majestic creatures you can always return to your cabin and enjoy a warm beverage.
- Talk to the crew: The crew and captain on our cruises are the best source for information about whales while you are onboard. They will be able to identify the type of whale – seven species make their home in the waters of Alaska – and help you understand their behavior.
- Have your camera ready: Once these creatures emerge from the sea you will have the opportunity to captures some truly stunning pictures of their ascent. Just be sure that you bring a camera with you that you are familiar with and that is also fully charged.
- Share pictures with others: Someone on the cruise may have gotten a picture you missed as you may have captured images they did not. Let people on social media and the cruise see and share your pictures.
- Bring binoculars: Not every whale will come close enough to the boat to be captured with your camera. Bring binoculars with you so that you will be able to view whales that are far away.
- Be patient: Whales are wild animals. This means that they are unpredictable and operate on their own schedule. Be patient as it may take some time for them to emerge.
Yes, whale watching is a truly exhilarating experience that more people should witness for themselves. When you book a cruise with us whales are just some of the animals you will be able to see for yourself. So, what are you waiting for? Book your cruise now.